Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mystic, Warrior, Leader, Conundrum

Today is the feast day of St. Joan of Arc, and I just don't know what to make of her.

I like to think of myself as a fan of church history, but I spend a lot more time on the church fathers and first few centuries than I do on the dark/middle ages. And one of my big blind spots is Joan of Arc. All I know of her is what I have learned as just a culturally literate sponge. She occupies similar space in my brain as King Arthur, even though I recognize that Joan was a real historical figure whose likfe had real political and military consequences -- but somehow there are legends and myths surrounding her life that I have not made the effort to dispel.

I have even avoided the recent theatrical accounts of Joan's life, and yet ... I don't know why I have avoided her.

I need to educate myself. Soon.

1 comment:

Cami said...

My husband recently watched the latest movie on her life. He said it was very good. I'd like to see it now, I'm curious, too. I'd really like to see an accurate movie version of St. Patrick's life! These people were renowned to be inspirational at great sacrifice to themselves, a wonderful thing.