Tuesday, August 28, 2007

To Honor Saint Augustine

In honor of his feast day, I offer this famous quote from one of our church fathers, known to some as the "Doctor of Grace." He is the forerunner of all who have had dramatic conversions from a pagan lifestyle.


"For behold, you were within me, and I outside; and I sought you outside and in my unloveliness fell upon those lovely things that you had made. You were with me, and I was not with you. I was kept from you by those things, yet had they not been in you, they would not have been at all. You called and tried to break open my deafness: and you sent forth your beams and shone upon me and chased away my blindness: you breathed fragrance upon me, and I drew in my breath and I do now pant for you: I taste you, and now hunger and thirst for you: you touched me, and I have burned for your peace."

3 comments:

Keith said...

That's almost as difficult to read as some of Paul's letters. But probably even more profound. Needs reading a multitude of times to get it really clear.

I.I. said...

It definitely takes a few times through to catch what I think he's saying.

Cami said...

My husband is one that yearns to see dramatic conversions. Nothing excites him more than to hear testimony of one. This expression of Augustine's is so exciting as we think of it in this light!