Monday, April 23, 2007

Book Review

John's Story, by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.

I read all of the Left Behinds, and thought they were OK, albeit inconsistent. This, the authors latest effort, tells the story of the apostle John, and how he came to write his gospel, epistles, and revelation. I assume we will soon get similar books about Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I have become increasingly interested in the leaders of the early church, and this book includes two of my favorites: Polycarp and Ignatius. Unlike their mentor John, these two great men of God ended their lives, as martyrs, Ignatius in the arena.

This novel captures the passion of the church near the turn of the first century AD, and I found it to be a fun and interesting read.

No comments: