Monday, August 07, 2006

Communion

The thought struck me when I took Communion yesterday of the eternal place that the Lord has in our lives. "Do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me . . . For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes." In this single act, the past, present and future all come together in the person of Jesus. We take Communion in the present, whereby we procaim the events of the Cross which occurred at a particular moment in the past, and will do so until He comes at a particular moment in the future.

I know that God is outside of time . . . but only rarely do I get a glimpse of exactly what that means. That is the guts of the message "The Kingdom of God is here" -- in this life, in our little existence, we get glimpses of the life to come, times and places where God's Kingdom intersects with our world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is wonderful...something the Spirit has been speaking to me recently as well...it is always the "Now" of His salvation that matters. Just like the parable I love, where the owner of the field hired workers in the morning, others in the afternoon, and some in the evening, but paid them all the same. His blessed "Now"!

Alan said...

time is so different for God than for us . . . I think it is one of the little boxes we try to put Him in.