Saturday, January 20, 2007

Justice

In Romans 13, Paul has some interesting things to say about this topic. There seems to be a difference between individuals carrying out justice (i.e., "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord"), and governments carrying out justice. Paul seems to okay the carrying out of justice by governmental authorities, who have been appointed by God. But then . . . what about the person who actually carries out (or authorizes) the governmental action? Is this person under the strictures of the governmental authority or of the individual? I am sure God knows the answer to this, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

One of the many things about the Lord that causes my head to spin when I think too much about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you there, Prof...I love what Oswald Chambers said, though: "Never look for justice in this world, but never cease to give it."

Another quote (I have this one written at the front of my bible): "If a government imprisons its people unjustly, then the only place for a just man is in prison."

Alan said...

justice and mercy . . . only god can figure out how to rightly balance those!